Learn the Water Safety Code
If you’re a Brownie or a Guide, you could complete your Water Safety badge.
Or try this activity below from the Canal and River Trust
Explain to children that one of the unexpected dangers is very COLD water
Aim: To demonstrate the effect of cold water.
You will need: String, a bucket of lukewarm water and a bucket of ice cold water.
• Ask the members to plunge their hands in the warm water, immediately followed by the ice-cold water.
• How long can they keep their hands in the cold water? Ask the members to describe how it feels.
How it affects the rest of your body
• You gasp. You could breathe in water which may cause you to choke.
• Your breathing rate increases. This flushes carbon dioxide out of your blood which cramp.
• Your heart rate increases to 180 beats a minute. You could have a heart attack.
• Your blood pressure increases. You could suffer a stroke.
• You become exhausted after about three minutes.
• Your body temperature drops. You will become unconscious.
If you live near water you could create posters about all the dangers associated with water and promote them to the community.